Friday, September 21, 2012

Iron Savior - Megatropolis

Power Metal
Dockyard 1

2007






1. Running Riot
2. The Omega Man
3. Flesh
4. Megatropolis
5. Cybernetic Queen
6. Cyber Hero
7. A Tale From Down Below
8. Still I Believe
9. Farewell And Good Bye

Iron Savior have always been a band I've enjoyed so a new album is something to look forward to for me. Not exactly a brainfood sort of band as their songs tend to follow a predictable formula of german power... fast, heavy, and anthemic. They do have a knack for making it sound good and coming up with memorable tracks however and I'm a big fan of Piet Sielck's voice and choruses.

Megatropolis as a whole is exactly what you'd expect of Iron Savior really. If you've ever heard the band than nothing on this will be shocking in any way, shape, or form. Piet's vaguely gruff voice follows thundering heavy power metal to big anthemic choruses and the production, guitar sound, and general nature of the songs is not at all removed from the last album Battering Ram. The only thing I can really say is that I found this album a little less memorable than the last. Maybe it's the fact this album is similar to the last even for them. There isn't a lot of diversity in Iron Savior's catalogue but this one to me seems like a direct copy of Battering Ram with little of it's own flavor. Not as many songs grab me as highlights on Megatropolis and I'm left wanting more. Not by any means a bad album or one that doesn't sound like what I expect of Iron Savior, but I wouldn't consider this one of their stronger efforts.

In the end this isn't a bad album but not a highlight in terms of the year or the band. If you like heavy anthemic metal in that german style than you could do worse. For anyone new to the band though, there are better places to start (like the last album). For fans of the band or completists this is a pretty decent one though that should give you an Iron Savior fix for the time being.

Highlights: The Omega Man, Megatropolis

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment