Saturday, September 22, 2012

Holy Moses - Agony Of Death

Thrash
SPV
2008







1. Imagination
2. Alienation
3. World in Darkness
4. Bloodbound of the Damned
5. Pseudohalluzination
6. Angels in War
7. Schizophrenia
8. Dissociative Disorder
9. The Cave (Paramnesia)
10. Delusional Denial
11. The Retreat
12. Through Shattered Minds/Agony Of Death (Outro)

Holy Moses is probably not my typical listening fair in that I've never much cared for death style vocals, but somehow this band almost weened me into it. In the beginning, while raspy and fairly harsh, Sabina Classen really didn't have that guttural sound and I was ok listening and simply likening her to other thrash vocalists who are often a bit raspy. More recently however it's safe to call her singing death in variety and while I miss her old style, I've become somewhat accustomed to the new as long as the music is still good.

On Agony Of Death the music is indeed still pretty strong as this release does keep the head moving with it's aggressive brand of thrash. Holy Moses' newer releases may not be as balls out and fast as say Finished With The Dogs, but I definitely can't say the band is wimping out either. The riffs do seem a bit more typical these days though and I think that can be largely credited to Andy Classen, the original man behind the guitar and songwriting of the band, no longer being present. With the main songwriter gone, of course the band is going to have a different touch and I have to admit I miss his presence. That situation is what it is though and I guess it just has to be accepted. Divorce within a band can be a tad bit messy. The bottom line though is I'd rather Sabina Classen continue to thrash out than not and this album does have some good heavy moments and riffs to offer. Also on the table is some rather cool guest appearances, my favorite of which is Henning Basse of Metallium on Schitzoprenia who manages to add some powerful wails that benefit the song and add some vocal variation.

Basically, I still miss the old, but accept the new on it's own merit which is some solid music to keep the head moving. Some older fans might still be turned off to the new Holy Moses sound, but if you've accepted the last albums than I don't see why this one shouldn't find a place in your collection as well. If you've not heard the band and like the prototypical german power metal sound with harsh vocals and a lot of heaviness than this may be worth checking out.

Highlights: Schitzophrenia, Pseudohalluzination, Alienation

Rating 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment