Sunday, September 16, 2012

Helloween - Gambling With The Devil

Power Metal
SPV
2007






1. Crack The Riddle (Intro)
2. Kill It
3. The Saints
4. As Long As I Fall
5. Paint A New World
6. Final Fortune
7. The Bells Of The Seven Hells
8. Fallen To Pieces
9. I.M.E.
10. Can Do It
11. Dreambound
12. Heaven Tells No Lies

After the third installment (in name anyways) of Keeper Of The Seven Keys I had some hopes for this one. I thought the band really delivered on that one and even put a new song in the ranks of my favorite Helloween songs in the form of Occassion Avenue.

Well, simply put this album doesn't really measure up in this reviewer's opinion. In fact the first 3 songs of this album made me want to turn the CD right off. Luckily from there it does get a bit better, but this album is still pretty lacking in highlights. The last Keepers album had a couple pitfalls like Mrs. God, but it made up for it with some great songs as well. This one really doesn't.

The absolute bottom of the album that is usually tucked in at the end for most albums strangely rears it's ugly head at the beginning for all to see. Kill It first bores the listener with a dumb, repetitive chorus and annoying drums behind it and ends up utterly boring me. After that comes The Saints with awkward verses that sound like they were forced into the music which proceeds to a chorus and not much else from then on. The whole thing is just overlong and lacking in substance... particularly lyrics and singing. Then we have As Long As I Fall which has oddly distorted vocals during the verses building up to a sugar overdose, poppy chorus which sounds out of place and terrible.

From there on things do get better but they never seem to get great either. Basically what the album reminds me of is a less heavy and less enjoyable dark ride with it's carnival-esque intro and attempts at a heavy sound which fall flat. Not an all out bad album once you get past the first few tracks, but I've heard considerably better from this band and I think people expect more out of a name like Helloween.

Highlights: Final Fortune, The Bells Of The Seven Hells

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment