Tuesday, September 11, 2012

HavocHate - Cycle Of Pain

Groove/Thrash
Indecent Media
2005





1. Cycle of Pain
2. Tentacle
3. Fiction
4. Still Alive
5. Alone
6. Wicked
7. Cold Embrace
8. Crack in the Sky
9. Speak No More
10. Buried in Lies
11. Rotting Hour

Well this was sort of a blind listen as I hadn't heard the first album and knew little of the band, but they came recommended so I figured what the hell. After giving this a few spins I'm glad I decided to check this one out.

Cycle Of Pain seems an apt title for the heavy as fuck metal within this one I must say. This album has nothing if not a thick and punishing sound to it. Musically I'm reminded of a cross between Crowbar's thick grooves and maybe later day OverKill & Exodus as the music blends sludge and thrash together. Pantera also comes to mind at points as some of the guitar just has that trademark Pantera sound to it. Vocally, Havochate makes good use of gravelly, not quite death vocals and some very powerful clean vocals that would be more typical of a traditional/power sort of band. Once again I'm kinda reminded of Pantera when Phil actually sang, but this guy has a stronger voice than Phil ever has.

Overall, this just comes together as the band's own sound and it's one I'm looking forward to hearing more of. A solid album from start to finish with really heavy riffs and a good touch of melody.

Highlights: Fiction, Still Alive, Alone

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment