Saturday, September 15, 2012

Firewind - Allegiance

Power Metal
Century Media
2006






1. Allegiance
2. Insanity
3. Falling to Pieces
4. Ready to Strike
5. Breaking the Silence
6. Deliverance
7. Till the End of Time
8. Dreamchaser
9. Before the Storm
10. The Essence
11. Where Do We Go From Here?

Firewind aren't a band I've previously payed a lot of attention to despite my like of Gus G's guitar style. I guess I've just always considered Firewind to be second string to Dream Evil. With his depature from Dream Evil though I decided to see what he was up to in Firewind.

Well this album certainly seems an improvement to me. Allegiance just seems to have a much more refined, smooth sound from what I'd heard from them before and I'm quite liking the new vocalist Apollo Papathanasio. The vocals are clean and quite passionate which really add some punch to the melodic and flowing choruses that tend to have quite a large, layered feel to them. Both musically and vocally this sort of reminds me of a cross between Valley's Eve and Thunderstone with maybe a hint of Brainstorm. Nothing incredibly new but well written and full of catchy melodies and hooks. Definetly an enjoyable power metal release if you like this sort of style. I'd recommend it to fans of any of the mentioned bands really.

Highlights - Falling To Pieces, Breaking The Silence, Deliverance

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment