Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Epica - Consign To Oblivion

Epic Power
Transmission Records
2005






1. Hunab K’u (Prelude)
2. Dance of Fate
3. The Last Crusade
4. Solitary Ground
5. Blank Infinity
6. Force of the Shore
7. Quietus
8. Mother of Light
9. Trois Vierges
10. Another Me "In Lack’ech”
11. Consign to Oblivion

My first experience with the lovely Simone Simons came just recently when I heard her doing backups for the new Kamelot and I must say it did grab my attention. Really enjoying her vocals I decided to seek this one out and see what her own band was like. I was not disappointed.

On further inspection of the band I learned that the ex-guitarist of After Forever is also involved and his influence is certainly felt here. Epica does not come across as doomy as After Forever, but there's a certain atmosphere and style to the vocals that is unmistakably similar to that band. Overall though I must say I enjoy Epica's music a great deal more. Everything here seems more energetic, tighter, and death vocals, while also present, are extremely sporadic and not in the majority of the tracks. I've always felt that the death growls of After Forever were detrimental to the atmospheric feel they try to create and that problem is not as common here. Really I'd have to say this band achieves everything After Forever seeks to accomplish in fine fashion and blows away that former band of Mark Jansen.

There is definetely an epic feel to their music (what a shock), but it's not really overblown and is a lot more subtle and flowing than most other bands I've heard in this style. There are Rhapsody reminders at times in the neo-classical feel, but this is much more subdued and not speed oriented. Overall this is melodic, but with a good deal of power underlying and a fine release. I'd recommend this to fans of bands such as Oratory, Dark Moor, After Forever, and Nightwish.

Highlights: Dance Of Fate, Blank Infinity, Mother Of Light, Another Me

Rating 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment