Saturday, September 29, 2012

Candlemass - Death Magic Doom

Doom Metal
Nuclear Blast
2009






1. If I Ever Die
2. Hammer Of Doom
3. The Bleeding Baroness
4. Demon Of The Deep
5. House Of 1000 Voices
6. Dead Angel
7. Clouds Of Dementia
8. My Funeral Dreams

Death Magic Doom has to be up with my most anticipated albums of the year. Consider me both a fan of Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus and the last album which brought Rob Lowe together with Candlemass kicked my ass. Going into this one I was expecting nothing but good.

After having listened to this I can't say I am disappointed in that it's a pretty good performance. However, I will say right off the bat that I don't think this one has quite the power of King Of The Grey Islands. It's hard for me to quite nail down why this one isn't as strong of a performance, but I think part of it has to do with the riffs. Really, what I like from much of Candlemass' songs is their ability to be doomy but have a nice roll and pace to them like the song Mirror, Mirror for instance. This one doesn't seem to quite have those memorable doom grooves that get the head moving and instead settles into a lot of very down tempo trudging. A little more pick up and go might've helped this album and I just don't hear any choruses that strike me as quite rivaling Lowe's wails of being emperor of the void, etc. Really, the only track that reminds me wholey of the last album is If I Ever Die which opens up the album with a ripping pace and some excellent and memorable riffing. Other songs do make their own impressions though as Hammer Of Doom does have a subtle creepiness to it and Dead Angel picks things up a bit in speed and energy.

Overall, this is a pretty enjoyable listen and certainly a worthy Candlemass album. I just don't think this one is a year topper like King Of The Grey Islands. I'm still digging Lowe with Candlemass and what he brings to the band. Death Magic Doom just doesn't come off quite as strong in the songwriting department.

Highlights: If I Ever Die, Hammer Of Doom, Dead Angels

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment