Saturday, September 22, 2012

Blaze Bayley - The Man Who Would Not Die

Heavy Metal
Metal Mind
2008






1. The Man Who Would Not Die
2. Blackmailer
3. Smile Back At Death
4. While You Were Gone
5. Samurai
6. A Crack In The System
7. Robot
8. At The End Of The Day
9. Waiting For My Life To Begin
10. Voices From The Past
11. The Truth Is One
12. Serpent Hearted Man

Throughout the years I've had a love/hate relationship with the man known as Blaze Bayley. I really hated his fit with Iron Maiden, but ever since he's left I've enjoyed all of his solo offerings. So on that note I was looking forward to this one.

What I didn't really expect on this one was the change in musical sound and direction. I guess now I get why he has decided to change the name from Blaze to Blaze Bayley because not only have the other members departed and it's really his band, but with the changes in lineup this does feel like a different project. From the start this album rips out of the gate with far more speed and heaviness in the riffs than has been heard out of Blaze in the past.

All I can say about the music is the leads are intense and interesting and the change is more than a welcome surprise. I liked Blaze anyways, but this album just steps it up a notch by making the music more involving and I'm actually surprised at how well the music blends with Blaze himself. I've always thought Blaze more suited to thicker or moodier music, but some of this album verges on thrashy in it's intensity and he pulls it off in fine form.

Vocally and musically powerful, this has got to be my favorite thing Blaze Bayley has ever been a part of. Solid from start to finish, I can't say anything but good about The Man Who Would Not Die. The hardest part of this review was choosing the highlights.

Highlights: The Man Who Would Not Die, Blackmailer, Smile Back At Death, The Truth Is One

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment