Friday, September 28, 2012

Artillery - When Death Comes

Thrash Metal
Metal Mind Productions
2009






1. When Death Comes
2. Upon My Cross I Crawl
3. 10,000 Devils
4. Rise Above It All
5. Sandbox Philosophy
6. Delusions Of Grandeur
7. Not A Nightmare
8. Damned Religion
9. Uniform
10. The End

Skepticism is the first word that comes to mind when I thought about a new Artillery album without Flemming Ronsdorf. Certainly, I did understand why the band decided to move on without him, but that doesn't mean I won't miss his unique voice. The fact is though that the band wants to be more active and he does not. So be it. This is too good of a band to sit on the shelf for 10 years.

After listening to this album I am prepared to eat any words of doubt I had said about the band picking Soren Nico Adamsen as a new singer and continuing. This album is a monster and Soren slides easily into the role of Artillery's singer without changing the dynamic much. He is not a sound alike to Flemming, but he does have a knack for the same sort of power metal-like choruses and they retain much the same vibe. The thing that really amazes me about this release though is the bag of riffs these guys brought to the party. Holy shit does this album shred and the sound reminds me of a logical follow up to By Inheritance. In short, this album is everything I could have wished for and far more than I ever would've expected. When Death Comes is a nonstop thrash assault that is worthy of being called a modern thrash metal masterpiece and I am floored by it.

Really I never could've predicted this sort of a thrash metal beast. Losing Flemming seemed like a major blow to the band and their last attempt at a reunion BACK was not their best album as it was nowhere near as shredding and seemed a bit phoned in at times. It appears that with a more cohesive lineup the band has found their fire again and one of my favorite thrash metal bands ever is back with a vengeance. I'd say When Death Comes stands up with their best material and that's a high compliment from me as By Inheritance is one of my favorite metal albums. If you are a thrash metal fan then you need this album and if you like thrash metal with a hint of power like perhaps Paradox then you really need this album.

Highlights: When Death Comes, 10000 Devils, Upon My Cross I Crawl, Sandbox Philosophy, Not A Nightmare

Rating - 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment